Monday, August 7, 2017

Day 4 at sea

Today is day 4 at sea. So far it has been nothing less than amazing. The seas have been unbelievably calm with only a gently roll that urges you to take a nap when you can. I have been sleeping like a child being rocked in her daddy's arms. It is such a gift to be back out on the ocean. It has been far too long.

Depart Las Palmas Spain 11:00am

Our first day out was filled with bright sunshine and blue seas. We were sent off to the sound of trumpets playing hymns from shore as a friend of the crew played from the break water as were left port. Amazing Grace, The Old Rugged Cross and It is well with my soul could be heard echoing out across the port even over the sound of our engines and that of the tugs. It was the first of many pinch me moments. I had tears in my eyes as we sailed out and I reflected on the fact of where I was. This is my life now. How far God has brought me and how unfathomable it truly is.

It was not long before dolphins were spotted on the bow. I actually missed those , but one of my friends got them on video. I will post that when we get to Cameroon. not enough Internet at the moment. I  did manage to make it out on to the bow of the ship in time to see several whales spouting and the dorsal fins breaking the surface. A nice moment indeed.

Day 2- 100 miles West of Morocco 

My second night on the water was spent with friends old and new on deck 7 of the ship. We gathered at sunset and spent the next 2 hours singing praises to God. Fred brought his guitar and a drum and several others arrived before to long. By the end there were about 20 of us joining our voices together in worship. It was deeply moving and blessed my soul. I pray it blessed the Father as well.

Day 3- 120 miles West of Mauritania

Yesterday we worked and got our first chance to work in the store room below decks since leaving. I am happy to report that all of our hard work has paid off so far. Everything has stayed on the shelves and nothing was lying on the floor. That may also have to do with the fact that the seas are nearly flat. We have not been pitching at all and we are continuing to only roll very gently. the most has been 5 degrees with most being 2-3 degrees. 
Last night the majority of the crew-somewhere around 200 right now, met on the bow for evening worship. It was lively and loud. It was standing room only so I made my way to the flying bridge. I could see much better and the wind carried the music right up to where I was. There were several of us up there and we had a lot more room. We were free to sing along with the others as well as having room to dance and move about. The sound of 200 people worshiping God rang out across the waves as the sun quietly slipped behind the gray clouds on the horizon.

Day 4- not sure of location. should be announced sometime today.. we are headed south.

This morning began to the sound of my upper bunk mates alarm ringing somewhere around 5am. Her name is Damaris and she is from Romania. She has also lived in Spain and the UK and has the most beautiful accent. She is very good to try and slip out quietly in the early mornings. She is currently working in the dining room and has to be there very early for breakfast set up. I drift back asleep until the sound of my alarm begins ringing at 6:20. Today is a work day. My schedule at sea is very light but this morning there are things to be done. I head upstairs 2 decks to the dining room and the smell of fresh coffee greets me as I walk in the room. I grab a cup and head up and out 2 flights. It is still dark outside. The moon is just beginning to set and head for the sea. There are a few scattered clouds and the air feels warm and tropical. The moon is full or nearly so. To bright to see many stars, but the light is soft and dancing on the waves and the foam kicked up from the ship cutting through them.
It is quiet and peaceful. The sea is inky black. I am amazed at how the color of the sea can change. At times it is the deepest blue I have ever seen and others the blue is light the color of someones eyes. Sometimes it appears green and at others various shades of gray. It is always mysterious, and somehow powerful and peaceful and the same time. This morning dark and not revealing what lies beneath. I am at peace and my heart is thankful. Another pinch me moment. How is it I get to be the one to stand at this railing this morning. Sipping my coffee and hearing the silence. How is it that He chose me? His grace is so amazing. I wish everyone could experience these moments, this joy, His Love.

Work was easy today. we started at 8 and ended by noon. We gathered supplies needed for the galley, dining room and a few things needed for the store . We then spent some time washing our vegetable crates. We have many but most of them are full right now. We had a huge produce order arrive the day before we left. It took many of us most of the afternoon to process it and find space for it below decks. Some one brilliantly decided that we should wash the crates as we empty them along the way to Cameroon. Then by the time we arrive nearly all of them will be empty and clean and ready to use again. So that was my work day today.
That was followed by lunch, a nap and now some computer work.
Tomorrow I do not have to work. I think a date with my hammock and book may be in order.
The light work load at sea is a very nice and welcome break following the 7 weeks of crazy I had at home before leaving. I am feeling rested for the first time in a long while. I am sure that may change once we arrived in Cameroon but for now it is lovely!
Thanks for your prayers. Keep in touch. Love to you all.


1 comment: