Sunday, July 15, 2018

Shipyard

I start by apologizing for not posting for a while. We arrived in the Gran Canaries Spain for our annual maintenance and repairs. The ship is a different place when we are in shipyard. First of all the crew is much smaller. We are around 225 people on board. Most evenings the place looks like a ghost town. Everyone is either in the cabins resting, worn out from busy days of work, or out exploring this beautiful island.
     Shipyard is an interesting place. So much happening all the time. Local workers coming and going, supplies being moved on and old parts being moved off. All of ones senses are involved. There is a constant hum of machines at work, grinders, welders, hammers and drills.  The clang of metal parts being hammered on ,the ding dong of the PA system announcing the days changes,  and the sound of the new prominent language on board, Spanish floating through most conversations.
     Then there are the smells. They change as you walk from one end of the ship to the other. All the way forward in the dinning room there are the pleasant smells of fresh brewed coffee, mixed with a variety of spices in the food being served that day or fresh baked cookies at times. As you walk out into reception the odors are swept away by a fresh ocean breeze that carries the faintest aroma of salt. It is coolest place on the ship as the breeze crosses through the two open hatches on either side of the ship. It invites you to linger and soak in the refreshment.
     As you descend through the ship the cool air fades away and replaced with the smell of fresh paint and engine oil. Warm air and the smell of hard work lingers in the passage ways. The air is warm because the air conditioning is off. We have been without air conditioning almost 3 weeks now. At times we have been without running water, toilets, showers and only a small amount of back up power. The refrigeration on board has been shut down for repairs and upgrades along with one of the walk in freezers. Each one of these situations creates a need for solutions and team work and patience.
Food has to be moved from its normal location to temporary locations, usually another container on another deck somewhere. This is where I come in. I am working in supply over the shipyard and so I get to be one of the people to help move hundreds of pounds of food from point A to point B. Then a few days or weeks later, back again. I have begun and impressive bruise collection on my body as I learn that frozen food pallets do not bend and give in the same manner as a pallet of say rolled gauze.
Through it all God is teaching me little lessons. In patience, kindness, tolerance and sometimes leadership. Repetitive lessons that my way is not always the right or only way.
     I have been  impressed by how well people work together here. In spite of all the challenges, and there are many, there is very little fighting or arguing seen. In spite of difficult living arrangements brought on by the challenges of shipyard I see very little angst between the crew. Even when there are times with no fresh water, or toilets that cant flush or Internet that is down. The people here are doing an amazing job of loving each other well.
     One of the best things about shipyard this year has been Carolyn. She has been my friend for 20 years. This year she volunteered with Mercy Ships and has been here serving for the last 6 weeks. It has been such fun having her here and getting to serve with her. We have had many adventures and been able to experience many things together. She was able to see a bit of Cameroon before we left, experience the wonder of the sail, the excitement of arriving in Senegal and docking in Spain. We have worked together, worshiped together and oh yes we have played too! It has been such a blessing to be able to share such a huge part of my life with someone I love from home. I pray I will have more opportunities to do so with others from my life back home. I pray Carolyn's time here has been as much of a blessing to here as it has been to me.




     Another great thing about shipyard is SPAIN!! We are in Spain and on our days off we are free to explore the island. It is a major tourist destination for Europe and so there are many things to discover. There is good food, great gelato and of course the beach. One day some of us were able to rent a car and drive around the whole island. It was lovely.  The island has areas that are very built up and full of European tourists. But is also has small sleepy Spanish towns full of warm, welcoming people. Tiny roads barely wide enough for two compact cars wind through beautiful hills dotted with amazing architecture. Ancient cathedrals are the center of most towns with  cozy cafes lying in their shadows. Picturesque fishing villages  dot the coast where the dry, desert hills meet the azure sea. It is such a gift to be able to spend time here. I am grateful. Oh how I wish I had taken Spanish in high school when I had the opportunity.
     In just a few days I will be leaving the ship for a bit. A few weeks in the States to catch up with family and friends. To get a years worth of hugs and conversations in the span of a few weeks. I am excited to share what I have experienced in the last year and yet know that my words will not be adequate. Then it will be onto Texas for more training before returning to the Ship. I look forward to seeing as many of you as time allows.








No comments:

Post a Comment