Saturday, March 12, 2011

Safari







So it has been several weeks since I posted anything. Part of that is because I was on Safari with Rick and Carolyn for a few days. Part of it is because I have been crazy busy since I got back.

For those of you who don't know, Rick and Carolyn are good friends of mine who happen to also be the Mom and Step dad of my best friend Lori. They came half way across the world to visit me, and go on Safari while they happened to be in Africa. :)

They were generous enough to share the experience with me and treated me to several days of Safari in the southwest corner of Uganda.
It was really wonderful with good food and good conversations. We had a nice time trekking in the Kyambura Gorge looking for chimpanzees. We did not find them in the end, but had a wonderful time looking. It was a very lush rain forest, which was kind enough to give us the full experience and rained a lot while we were down in it. We did see baboons in the trees quite close and "evidence" of recent elephants walking about nearby. We also got to see a large hippo swimming in the river from a short distance away. It was all very incredible. Our guide was highly disappointed we did not find out chimps, but all of us were pretty happy. Our trek ended by getting to see some black and white monkeys sitting in the trees on the edge of the gorge. It was a great day.

One thing that really struck me as we went about our time on Safari was this:
God created everything after its own kind. Yes, I know that this is not a new revelation of any sort, but it was just everywhere and in your face. Everything that I saw, from monkeys to crocodile's, elephants, water bucks, lizards and birds, everything had babies just like themselves. I was reminded that God made them all, male and female (including humans) to reproduce after themselves. And boy do they! There were cute little babies everywhere. All looking like, or very close to alike, the parents that made them. I know that does not make me politically correct, but guess what?....the Truth very often is not politically correct.

I am grateful for the few days of down time, good sleep, good food and good friends. How truly blessed I am. I will attach a couple of pics. It was so fun to see the animals in the natural environment, with no fences or zoo's. I wish everyone of you could have the same opportunity. It you ever get the chance I highly recommend it!

As for me, I took the bus back cross country by myself on Monday. ( sorry Mom ) That trip in itself was an amazing experience. I got to see much of the country and meet interesting people and conquer some fears of my own. Thank God with me for safe passage. Also please keep Rick and Carolyn in your prayers for safe Safari and safe travel home. Today (Saturday) they should be hiking with Silver back Gorillas. Pray they safely see some!

No comments:

Post a Comment