Saturday, May 13, 2017

the adventure continues.....

Hello to all of you from Benin,

Today is Saturday May 13th. It is a warm but cloudy day here.  My day started with a short time in the clinic taking care of one of the crew. Then time upstairs in the lounge reading  my bible and chatting with friends. Now my laundry is going. We have a nice laundry room with about 12 washers and dryers that are free for the crew to use. with about 400 people using them they are  always busy and the laundry room is quite the social place. We have to sign up for time slots. You sign up for the washer  and then automatically get the dryer for the hour following. It seems to work quite well most of the time.

Weekends here are pretty relaxed most of the time. No surgeries take place on the weekends most of the time. someone is always on call in case someone needs to go in for emergency surgery. sometimes that happens. Even meal times are more laid back with many people sleeping in or taking off for weekend trips. It is an enjoyable time. Last night we had a going away party for someone who has been here for 9 years. She will be returning home and leave large shoes to fill here I am sure. It was a lovely time with good food, and fellowship.

I makes me wonder if that will be me someday. I have been asked to stay and I can tell you officially today that I have said YES! I have agreed to come back for at least a year, but it is not difficult for me to see it lasting beyond that. My time here has been amazing. And although there are things I miss from home, I feel like I am where I belong.  The hardest part for me will be the separation  from those I love and care for most. However I know those relationships have the power to endure. I am so thankful for that.

So what will that look like? I will  be  coming home as planned in  just a couple of weeks now. I will hopefully get to spend some time with most of you, and deal with packing up and sorting through my life in  Virginia.  I will  then return to the ship around the end of July. I know the time will go very quickly. I have lots to do and many people to see. I look forward to meeting my newest Great nephew, Eli, who arrived into the world since I have been here. There are also many sweet little people I am dying to hug and tell all about Africa. A few big people too! ;)
So for now the adventure continues....................

1 comment:

  1. I am excited for you and I have to say not surprised. I felt all along that you were falling in love with Africa and would extend your stay. I have another friend serving the Lord in Africa as well. She is from Ecuador. The 2 of you are much alike. Single, fun, committed, Godly women. I love you both like daughters. Please don't stop writing your blog and sharing the journey with all of us! I will continue to pray for you regularly. I know you will be missed by family and friends but God will bless you beyond measure.
    Love from AK!!! Peggy

    ReplyDelete