Saturday, November 17, 2018

Back to work

I have completed my first  full week back to work on board the Africa Mercy. It has been a busy but very good week. I really love being a nurse here. It is so different than nursing in America. Here I have the opportunity to openly pray with most of my patients. I am able to see my patient as a whole person. I have been taught and fully believe that each one of us is made in the image of God. We are more than just a physical body. As a result illness can effect us in not  only the physical , but also in our emotions, our soul and our spirit. I believe healing can occur in all of these areas and illness therefore needs to be addressed in all of these areas. I am so thankful that I am in a place where we not only have to freedom to do that, but are actively encouraged to do so.

I interact with not only the crew that live on the ship, but with our day crew as well. Day crew are crew members that live in the country that is hosting us. They are hired to work on the ship for the 10 months we are here. What we do as a ship would be impossible without them. One of the benefits they receive as day workers is access to the crew clinic. They are able to come to us and seek medical care and advice. Many of them have had little access to medical care in the past. It is often not affordable or unavailable. It is an honor and a privilege to be able to serve them.

One of the other great things about working here is being with others who are passionate about the same things I am. Everyday we take time out of our schedule to spend time in devotion. We do this as a team. Taking turns to bring something to share with the team. We then spend time in prayer together. We pray for our patients, our ship mates, the country, the government, our families, our friends and anything else the Lord puts on our heart. It is rapidly becoming my favorite part of the day.

Speaking of prayer, would you pray for the screening team? Today a team left to go upcountry and find additional patients that may not have been able to make the journey to the capital city of Conakry. Their journey will be long, and they will be far from the support and safety of the ship. Please keep them in prayer these next 2 weeks.
Pray for them to find those that God wants to shower with hope and healing.
Pray for their emotional health as they encounter suffering and sorrow and will be forced to say no to many we can not help.
Pray for joy in the yes' for those we can
Pray for safety in travel, in large waiting crowds, and politically unstable areas.
Pray for no road blocks or other obstacles along the way.
Pray for unity and clarity on hearing from God. 
And please continue to pray for the missionaries living in this country who invest all of themselves to share love and light with those who are lost in darkness.

I don't have any pics of my team just yet, but I will try to post some soon.
Know I am missing you all and think of you often. You too are in my prayers.
For King and Kingdom

below are a few pics from Guinea since arriving.

The fist one is 5 o'clock traffic on a 2 lane road.


Local church during my two weeks up country


a small grocery store


Playing banana grams (speed scrabble) with some students at the youth center. Helps them practice their English.


Melons for sale at a road side market


A good view of the chaos of and intersection where 2 roads meet


a lumber yard of sorts...believe the poles are used for scaffolding. ( next to and inlet from the ocean)
Another road side stand selling house hold goods.

No comments:

Post a Comment