Friday, April 7, 2017

How beautiful


Its evening time here in Benin. The work week has ended for most of the crew. Following a nice dinner at a local Schwarma shop I find myself sitting in the coffee shop much like home. It is in the center of the ship on deck 8 and most evenings is the center of activity. Currently I am sitting on a comfy cough in the southwest corner of the room. The center of the room contains an open atrium down to the next level where the actual coffee shop is. the atrium is square and you can look down in the center. across from me a group of crew members are celebrating Fred's birthday. There is much laughter drifting across as the teach each other to dance with Michael Buble' plays on someones phone.It reminds me of Debi and Geoff and Dancing Girl back in the day. A familiar sense of Deja vu'.
Across the atrium on the other side is the Internet cafe. A group of about 20 computers set up for the crew to use. I hope to spend some time their tomorrow and download some of the photos that are there for the crew to use. photos of areas we may not get to go and of patients we are asked not to photograph. This will allow me to share more of what is happening her. I am thankful that they have set this up for us.
Then across the room from that is another seating area with table. It is mostly empty now, but a little while ago it was filled with more crew members exciting talking with a local tailor. They had been to the fabric market and now discuss the items they wish for her to create. She is quite talented and will transform their vibrant fabrics into amazing dresses, scrub tops, laptop covers, purses and who knows what else. The tailor comes once a week and there is never a shortage of clients waiting anxiously for her arrival.
Back on my side of the room the dancing seems to have ended. The cake has been eaten, the dances have been taught and the party seems to be winding down. A few other crew drift in and settle at a near by table and begin to play cards. It is fun to watch all the small pods of people from all over the world being bound together by their common goal to help and serve others. Little pods of family forming.
Again it feels familiar and my mind wanders to those I am bound to. Those I have danced with, played games with, broke bread with, and served with. My heart is warmed and at the same time I miss them. Wish them here.
And now another conversation is heard. One of my African brothers sharing the gospel with a group of young people gathered at a game table. His enthusiasm is contagious. Here is a man who loves the Lord. He speaks with love, with kindness, with grace and with a matter of fact attitude. Isaiah 52:7
"How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, "Your God reigns!" What a wonderful way to close out the day. I'm going to stop typing now and just listen as this man as he pours out his heart about the God he serves. 
Until later....May you continue to seek Him and hear His voice.


No comments:

Post a Comment