Saturday, October 21, 2017

Four men in a canoe

This week has been very busy. We received one of the containers we had been waiting for. (Thanks for praying) So in addition to my regular work I was processing items from that. Add to that being a person short for a couple days and it has been a challenging week. It has been good though and the Lord has met our needs day by day. Each time I thought we might run out of something or be short, the Lord has provided just enough for that day. From needles to bandages and everything in between he has sustained our needs day by day.

My coolest moment of the week was sitting in the dining room. I was having lunch and sitting by the window overlooking the river. I sat and watched for quite a while as a story from the bible came to life before my eyes. Just below my window were four men in a canoe. This is not a canoe like we have in America. I was not made of plastic but of wood. hollowed out from a tree, it was all one piece. It appeared to be very old and the paint  once on it has mostly weathered away and left bare wood showing.The water was just up to the top edge and fishing nets drooped over one side and vanished into the muddy water flowing out to sea.

Inside the canoe were four local men along with their fishing nets. I watched closely as they motored their canoe toward the ship while setting out the nets. At the very last moment they would turn and run next to the ship and then go back out in the river away from the ship. They would then circle back and do it again. This time slapping the water along the way with a paddle. This would help to drive any fish into the area of the net they had previously laid out. They did this multiple times as I sat watching. All the while the tide coming in, rocking the boat as the water lapped at the sides. Always threatening to over take the boat or tip it at any moment. As they pulled in the nets only a few fish here and there came as a reward for their hard work. I thought of the men I know here on the ship, most of them have never be taught to swim. I wondered if any of those men know how to swim. Most do not, and therefore risk their lives each day they go out . It seemed to me a very difficult and dangerous way to make a living.

And then the Lord spoke to my heart. Suddenly in my heart I heard...."Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."(Matthew 4:18) I thought of how the first disciples Jesus called were men just like these here in this boat. Simple fishermen. Another group of 4 fishermen. James, John, Peter and Andrew.  Men who knew about hard work. And by a simple act of faith, well maybe not simple, lets say a giant leap of faith, he  they left their nets to follow Him. He used them along with 8 others to completely transform the world as we know it. I was struck by just how amazing that moment was. A moment not unlike the one unfolding in front of me during my meal. Just men out fishing. Men who had grown up hearing stories of one who would come to save them. Of Messiah. And then in the blink of an eye, a choice set before them. Walk away from every thing they know. From what is comfortable and familiar, from what is socially acceptable and expected and leap into the unknown. To put all their hope in this man, Jesus from Nazareth. I'm so thankful they did.

Today we are all faced with the same choice. Are we willing to follow Jesus? The one sent from God to redeem us and restore us back to a right relationship with God. Are we willing to leave our families and our fishing boats and walk into the unknown? Are we willing to risk it all?




2 comments:

  1. Jennifer, your words and your heart always touch my soul. Thank you for being an obedient servant of God. You touch more lives than you will ever know and God is truly blessing you and others for your faithfulness.
    Lee and I send love and prayers always!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Peggy. I need the prayers and welcome and return the Love. I think of you often and love the ministry that God is giving to you as well. May we each continue to lift His name high and bring Him glory as the days draw ever shorter. Love and prayers for you both.
    Love Jennifer

    ReplyDelete