Saturday, October 14, 2017

Meet Ernest

This is Ernest. He was one of our first patients. He ended up having to come early because his tumor had begun to bleed and he was in danger.
He had lived with this tumor for years. His before pictures say it all. His body language and his eyes reveal the pain of living with a tumor for so long without access to safe or affordable surgical care.  It effected every aspect of his life. His surgery was preformed and he received several pints of blood from crew members.

Our Mercy ship photographer was there they day his bandages came off and he got his first look at his  new face. Clearly he was pleased and commented on  how handsome he now looked.

His life has forever changed. I share a cabin with one of the nurses who cared for this man. She said that after  his surgery  he came out of his shell. He has a great sense of humor and enjoyed joking with her. He would often pretend that he was not  going to do what she was asking of him, like drinking his protein drink or getting  up to exercise. But he always did.

Even though I am working in supply I did have opportunity to interact with Ernest several times.
My days take me in and out of the wards and the OR and allow me to interact with most of the patients. I too can attest to the joy evident in  Ernest, that seemed to grow  daily. I am hoping to make it out to see him at the hope center soon.

As of today he is staying at our hope center and continuing in his recovery. The hope center is a 200 bed facility off the ship that allows continued care for those who no longer need to be hospitalized but are not yet ready to return home. My cabin mate reports that the extra skin that remains after such a major surgery is slowly returning to its original state. Much the way a woman's stomach does following child birth. He may end up needing another surgery after a few months for any remaining extra skin but his recovery is going remarkably well. Please continue to pray for Ernest that he will be healed in his heart and spirit and well as his physical body.


 Thank you all for your prayers  and encouragement. Thank you also for your continued financial support that makes it possible for me to serve here. It is such a privilege to be here and be part of what the Lord is doing here. I do not take it for granted. I am aware of the sacrifice that many of you make to help me stay here. I can not thank you enough. I pray that the Lord will return it to you tenfold. You are in my prayers.

For King and Kingdom
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment