Monday, March 20, 2017

Grace

my first full day in Benin is coming to a close. What shall I share?....I guess I will start with my journey here. It was long but full of grace and fun moments. Lori dropped me at the airport and I got checked in for my flights with no problems. The flight out of Roanoke was through grey, rainy and somewhat turbulent skies but I felt more relaxed than I had for several weeks. I was finally in the air and on my way. 2 very large bags riding beneath me in the cargo hold. I was very happy to drop them at the TSA screening area and felt a little bad for the guy as he made a comment about getting a hernia as he lifted my bags on to the x-ray machine.

My next flight was from DC to Brussels. After a short layover everyone began to line up and start the boarding process. Over the  next few minutes we all stood nervous and a bit shocked at how strict the gate attendant was being in regards to everyone's carry on baggage. He made repeated announcement that you could only have 1 carry on and 1 personal item. We all watched as one person after another was forced to check bags that were either to big or because the had too many. After about 10 minutes and 30-40 people having to do this, I decided I better make some adjustments. I had my big purse, my laptop bag and a rolling carry on. I was obviously about to be the next person to be pulled from line. So I opened my carry on and took out a few items that I would not want stolen and waited for the inevitable. Mean while having polite conversation with those around me. I was in the last group to board and the plane was nearly full. 4 groups had already boarded. 2 spots a head of me another person is pulled and told they must check their carry on. As I stepped up and handed my boarding pass to him, he looks at me and says have a nice flight and the next thing I know I am walking down the jet way with all three of my items. The guy behind me in line is astonished with his mouth hanging open. I admit I am pretty amazed too. He asks me how did you get by him with all your stuff? I told him I had no answer other than God's grace. complete undeserved , grace.

I walked onto the plane with a warm heart knowing that God cares about the smallest details in our lives. He knew I needed  my purse and could not check it. It had my money and malaria medications and a lot of other important things.
He knew I could not check my laptop without the risk of never seeing it again , not to mention all the personal imformation it contains. He knew the only bag I could have checked was my carry on. And allthough I could have traveled without it, having it made for a much nicer trip. I had my pillow and blanket, my snacks, my reading material and a bag with wheels to pile everything on and drag it for the rest of my journey, thereby saving my poor shoulders and back a lot of undue pain.

Thank you God for grace. Thank you that the man behind me had already heard that I was going for you. Thank you that although I was willing to check my bag, I did not have to. And thank you that you let the man behind me see your favor and grace in my life.

Next stop.....Brussels

2 comments:

  1. great to hear from you! So glad you could keep your bag! God is good, all the time. Looking forward to your next post! Cheryl :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For sure. all the time. so undeserved and so welcome.
    good to hear from you . miss you

    ReplyDelete