Friday, March 24, 2017

you were warned

We were warned several times through out the  week, there will be a fire drill on Thursday. Most of the long term crew seemed very nonchalant about it and I will admit I was not too worried. After all I have been on a ship before and had fire drills. I even know not to show up in flip flops unless you want to upset the watch officer.

Well, 6 am yesterday the fire alarm is rung. It is followed by the announcement to muster at your in port muster station. ( pretty salty talk huh?) Anyway, I managed to get down out of my bunk from a sound sleep and understand that we must move quickly. So my roommate and I made our way for the stairs. I confess I knew it was a drill and I had just gotten out of bed, so I did stop at the ladies room on my way. In the event of a true emergency I would skip this step! :)

So 3 flights of stairs later I exit the ship via the gangway. I must then check in with a safety officer and have my name checked off a list to be sure I am accounted for . I must say I was quite Impressed to see how quickly they were able to empty the ship of the entire crew, account for everyone aboard and put out the "fire". I am sure I made a lovely impression on my fellow crew mates with my fashionable pajamas.  We were on back on board in short time and still had time for a shower and breakfast before the day began.
The best part of the whole experience was watching how one of the smallest crew members reacted to the whole experience. While some of the crew was grumbling a bit about being up too early or being in their pj's ( like me) this little boy of about 3 came by with his mom. He was full of excitement and pointing out to mom and anyone else who would listen that the moon was out. All the way across the yard he pointed to the moon exclaiming "look the moon the moon " He was very excited. I was thankful for an early morning perspective check. all and all a very interesting start to the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment